The events at Chick Springs part 1
|Image from chicksprings.org|
Previously, I detailed the results of my research into the deeds of Chick Springs. Next, I detailed the news of the hotel and the springs found in Google's news archives. This time I use Google's news archives to discover what events took place at the hotel and the surrounding land.
No Greenville papers are available in the news archives, but the Spartanburg Herald-Journal is available and luckily for us they paid close attention to events at Chick Springs.
- 1907-03-30, Spartanburg Weekly Herald, Teachers Meet At Chick Springs This Summer: The State Teachers' Association chose Chick Springs as the site of its next meeting scheduled June 24-26, 1907.
- 1907-04-02, Spartanburg Weekly Herald, Teachers Meet At Chick Springs This Summer: A reprint of the March 30 article above.
- 1907-06-18, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, State Teachers to Meet at Chick Springs: More information about the association meeting.
- 1912-05-28, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Many Are Going to Chick Springs: A big BBQ will be held tomorrow by advocates of the interurban railroad to help sway the railroad executives to build the railroad through Greer.
- 1912-05-29, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Greer Route Will Be 'Boosted' Today: Today's the big day for the BBQ to convince railroad executives to route the interurban through Greer instead of Reidville.
- 1914-04-19, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Chick Springs to Get Five Conventions: Five conventions have already committed to meet at the newly remodeled hotel during the summer.
- 1914-05-14, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Greenville Has "Glad Hand" Ready: A reception and dance will be held at the hotel on June 4th.
- 1914-06-10, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Knights of Pythias to Picnic at Chick Springs: The Knights of Pythias will hold a picnic at Chick Springs on July 8.
- 1914-06-10, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Baptists Picnic at Chick Springs: First Baptist Church Sunday School held a picnic at Chick Springs despite the damp conditions.
- 1914-06-18, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Dentists Begin Their Convention: The South Carolina Dental Convention runs this morning through Friday morning.
- 1914-06-19, The (Newberry) Observer, The Press Association to Meet at Chick Springs: The South Carolina Press Association will be held at the hotel from July 6-9. The rates will be $2 per day.
- 1914-07-07, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Editors Begin 40th Session: The South Carolina Press Association convention begins.
- 1914-07-19, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Chick Springs: The State Druggists' Association ended the convention Thursday and vowed to return next year.
- 1914-08-09, The (Charleston) News and Courier, News From Chick Springs: Recapping a lively week at the resort.
- 1915-05-13, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, To Hold Convention at Chick Springs: The South Carolina Underwriters' Association will hold their 7th annual convention at the hotel May 19 and 20.
- 1915-05-21, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Underwriters Adjourn Session: The South Carolina Underwriters' Association convention closed on the 20th. A good time was had by all.
- 1915-06-15, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Opening Ball at Chick Springs: The opening ball will be held on the 18th. Several conventions are already booked during the season.
- 1915-06-27, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Newspaper Men to Convene at Chick Springs Tomorrow [continued]: The South Carolina Press Association holds its annual convention at the hotel Monday through Wednesday in joint session with the master printers.
- 1915-06-29, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, An Important Gathering: Editorial on the press association convention.
- 1915-06-20, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Governor Manning and the Press: Editorial on Governor Manning's speech later today.
- 1915-07-04, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Special Dance at Chicks Monday Night: A dance tonight at the hotel followed by concert and dinner on Sunday.
- 1915-08-07, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Checker Players at Chick Springs: The hotel will host the 8th annual tournament of the Southern Checkers tournament from August 24-27.
- 1916-08-20, Atlanta Journal-Constitution [$$$]: The hotel is entertaining many charming guests.